Oops, meant unpackWars="false"

David Smith wrote:
Tomcat does unpack war files before starting the context. That's because of performance issues if it really tried to run the app from an archive. Typically if unpackWars="true", tomcat will unpack to the work directory instead of the webapps dir.

--David

V D wrote:
Thank you for your interest. The application starts very slowly with the war and my classloader (this is a standard app, not webapp). The war also has a webapp in it. This has nothing to do with the application logic. It's the leading time to load the classes. It takes about 2 or 3 minutes. The same JVM 1.5.0 runs Tomcat (5.5.12) would response to request much quicker (about 10 seconds) after the 1st request. If I run the war file unpacked and using standard classloader, it's a couple of seconds before things run. However, using our own class loader with the packed war (which searches all libraries in the lib and classes in the classes directory) it takes along time described above.

My question is about how Tomcat does this in the unpacked war scenario. I couldn't find the Tomcat loader that does this. I suspect it unpacked it first, but this is a wild speculation.

P Y wrote:
maybe you could give a bit more context to interpret "very slow" or "quickly".
like what version of tc and jvm are you using ... etc