David Rush wrote:
> However, when I tried to install log4j, I had to put the .jar files and
> log4j.properties files under CATALINA_HOME/common in order for it to
> work.  Putting them under CATALINA_BASE/common did not work.  Obviously
> this is a problem because then multiple instances, which all share
> CATALINA_HOME would be intermixed in one log file.

That doesn't seem obvious to me.

> It also points to
> the bigger problem of all instances sharing CATALINA_HOME/common for
> everything.

As I understand it, the whole point in setting CATALINA_BASE and CATALINA_HOME
to different values is to have multiple Tomcat instances running from the
*same* set of binaries and libs. So, to me this seems to be exactly the way
it's meant to be.

> Is there a way to get each instance of tomcat to use its own
> CATALINA_BASE/common directory?

If there is a way, I know nothing of it.
But, as already suggested, you could run multiple Tomcat instances from
multiple installation directories. Or you could bundle log4j with the webapps
that need it instead of putting it in common/lib.

Regards
  mks