----- Original Message -----

1. Don't use the distribution package - download from tomcat.apache.org
2. Use CATALINA_HOME / CATALINA_BASE - see RUNNING.txt for pointers
3. Create an unprivileged user for running the Tomcats
4. Create a template server init script for starting and stopping (version,
status, etc) Tomcat
5. Copy the template init script to each named service (tomcat1, tomcat2,
tomcat3, etc.)
6. Optionally place service-specific parameters in an /etc/sysconfig
subdirectory
7. Add the services with chkconfig
8. Start and stop each service separately

Don't forget to change the relevant ports in each server.xml file. An ant
script with the xmltask add-on is quite handy for doing this. You can then
write a properties file with configuration specifics for each CATALINA_BASE,
run the ant tasks to create the CATALINA_BASE, service support files, etc., and
then install. The properties files then become a nice base document for all of
the Tomcat servers that you've installed.

Alternatively, if all of your web sites have similar uptime / control / access
requirements, you can run all 5 sites using a combination of named virtual
hosts on Apache HTTPD and virtual hosts on Tomcat.

Or a combination of the above . . . It all depends on your requirements.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/