I'm more curious here than there being a problem.
Are the Poller & CometPoller threads necessary for Tomcat operation?  If not,
how to turn them off, and do I want to turn them off.
Here's my scenario:
Tomcat 6.0.33 with APR on Windows Server 2008 (regular and R2).
Fairly normal server.xml, with generic <connector> implementation, i.e., not
explicitly specifying the protocol:
  <!--APR library loader. Documentation at /docs/apr.html -->
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener"
SSLEngine="on" />
    <Connector address="172.16.1.1" port="80" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
               maxThreads="10" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="443"
acceptCount="100"
               connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" />
    <Connector address="172.16.1.1" port="443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
               maxThreads="100" enableLookups="false" acceptCount="100"
               connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true"
               scheme="https" secure="true" SSLEnabled="true"
               SSLCertificateFile="path to server.crt"
               SSLCertificateKeyFile=" path to server.key"
               SSLCertificateChainFile=" path to _chain.crt"
               SSLPassword="password" />
Web.xml is set up to force everything to HTTPS:
    <user-data-constraint>
    </user-data-constraint>

So Tomcat starts up and creates, in my case, 32 poller threads, 8 poller and 8
cometpoller for each connector.
Now, I know these just sit around waiting on AprEndpoint$Poller, basically
doing nothing and really causing no harm, other than taking up some threads out
of my available threadpool.
I pretty sure we don't use Comet, so I'd like to turn those off, but it's not
clear in the documentation that I can, only looks like there are controls for
the NIO connector.
What, if anything, would the standard Poller threads be used for?
Since everything gets forwarded to HTTPS, the HTTP poller threads seam
exceptionally useless.

Jeffrey Janner
Sr. Network Administrator
jeffrey.jan...@polydyne.com<mailto:first.l...@polydyne.com>
PolyDyne Software Inc.
Main:   512.343.9100
Direct:  512.583.8930

 [cid:image002.png@01CC0FB7.4FF43CE0]

Speed, Intelligence & Savings in Sourcing

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to
the sender or telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your
system.