Latha,

On 7/17/12 8:20 PM, Sivasubramaniam, Latha wrote:
> I am having issues with the SSL certificate chain the https
> requests from the IE8 browser does not get any response.  Following
> are the details and any help is appreciated. This is in one of our
> customer implementation.
>
> Tomcat version: 6.0.29 OS: Windows 2008 Browser: IE8 Ceritificate
> key size: 2048 and the server certificate is 4th level in the
> chain.

What about other web browsers? Is it only MSIE8 that is giving you
problems, or can you not connect from any browser/client?

> I have tried following different things.
>
> *         Imported chain and the server certificate to my keystore
> and set keystore properties in the server.xml

Please post your <Connector> configuration. Also, are you using APR
for SSL?

When you imported the certificate chain, did you import all 4
certificates? (You may not need the top-level CA one, as it was
probably already trusted by the JVM).

> *         Imported certificate chain to cacerts and imported
> server certificate to my own keystore and speficied keystore
> properties in the server.xml
>
> *         Imported certificate chain to my own trusted keystore in
> addition to the cacerts and server certificate to another
> keystore, specified both trustkeystore and keystore properties in
> the server.xml
>
> None of the above is working.
>
> I generated selfsigned certificate and that is working.

That is good to know.

> We have windows based components using the same certificate on the
> same server, certificates imported on to the windows certmgr and
> those components are working. But the same certificate is not
> working on the Java based components.
>
> I do not see any errors in the tomcat logs.

Do you get any output at all when you launch Tomcat?

> How can I get additional logging to see what is happening? Is
> there any known issue with the certificate chain ( I did not find
> any in the bug list)

You can change the log level from INFO to DEBUG or FINE. Look at
conf/logging.properties.