Daniel,
      It is a web application. I was just referring to the java code in the
webapplication.
This is how we retrieve the connection
Class.forName(driver);
ObjectPool connectionPool = new GenericObjectPool(null);
ConnectionFactory connectionFactory = new
DriverManagerConnectionFactory(connectionURI,userName,password);
PoolableConnectionFactory poolableConnectionFactory = new
PoolableConnectionFactory(connectionFactory,connectionPool,null,null,defaultReadOnly,defaultAutoCommit);
coDataSource = new PoolingDataSource(connectionPool);
}

coDataSource  is a static object and a connection is obtained whenever needed
,using coDataSource.getConnection()