On Jul 23, 2012, at 2:24 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:

> 2012/7/24 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
>>
>> On 7/23/12 2:44 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>>> See proper Apache Commons-Daemon jsvc documentation, at
>>> http://commons.apache.org/daemon/jsvc.html
>>
>> If the TomEE documentation is incorrect, we should help them correct
>> it. Was this just a knee-jerk reaction to the OP's use of something
>> other than the super-official commons-daemon jsvc documentation, or is
>> there a problem with the TomEE stuff?
>
> It is not "super-official". It is the official one and naturally the
> primary source of information regarding jsvc. The others are partial
> reflections of the original.
>
> The problems with TomEE documentation:
>
> 1) It should properly reference the project, it is *Apache* Commons Daemon.
>
> 2) The "./configure --with-java" phrase in TomEE doc is misplaced.
>
> It is part of the "Building jsvc" step only (to find the C API header
> files in JDK). It should not be in the introductory section - that is
> why OP was fooled. It has nothing to do with running jsvc.
>

> Note, that jsvc doc mentions the following useful options:
> a) the "-home" argument to jsvc can be used to specify location of the
> home directory of JDK/JRE.
>
> b) the option to enable debug-level logging to get more information
> for troubleshooting. IIRC, the debug logging should show what paths
> are tried looking for java executable.

Thanks for the notes!  I've attempted a rewrite of that page using the above
feedback:

  http://openejb.apache.org/unix-daemon.html

It may not yet be perfect.  In particular I didn't add the `-home` note -- more
because I didn't want to get it wrong.  The page can be edited by anyone by
clicking the blue pencil icon in the upper right, so contributions are highly
encouraged.  All changes are reviewed before going live, so don't worry about
messing anything up.

Thanks again!

-David