The only way I know to address this obnoxious issue is to create your own custom RMIClassLoaderSpi and install it early enough.

The custom RMIClassLoaderSpi is very simple:

      public String  getClassAnnotation( final Class cl )
      {
        return ( null );  // we don't need no stinking bloated RMI
   class annotations!
      }

otherwise the implementation can simply default to DefaultSpiHolder.instance.getDefaultSpi().

Of course, it is extremely silly that this issue has existed for many years and there's still no simple -Djava.rmi.disableClassAnnotations or the like.