I'm starting up Tomcat 7.0 on RHEL6 with the following init script:

#!/bin/bash
#
# chkconfig: 235 80 20

CATALINA_HOME="/opt/tomcat7"
export JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/jdk6-64/"

case "$1" in
        'start')
                /bin/su tomcat -c "$CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh -security"
                ;;
        'stop')
                /bin/su tomcat -c $CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh
                ;;
        *)
                echo "usage: $0 {start|stop}"
                ;;
esac

If I use sudo -s (or -i) to get a root shell, I can use this script to start
and stop Tomcat.

If I invoke this script directly via sudo, i.e. "sudo /sbin/service tomcat7
stop", stopping Tomcat works.  Starting does not; Tomcat gives the usual output
to the terminal, creates or touches catalina.out (but writes nothing to it),
and then instantly exits.  This is a problem, because I need to allow the Web
admin to start/stop Tomcat without giving them everything.

Has anyone seen anything similar to this before?  /var/log/secure isn't showing
anything out of the ordinary (and obviously, the commands are being run).

Thanks,

--Ray