Julien,

On 15.8.2012 22:12, Julien Martin wrote:
I am having trouble getting Tomcat-7.0.29 to work with Eclipse/sts.

My war deploys fine when I drop it into the deploy directory of Tomcat
directly but when I deploy it using Eclipse/STS, I get a
ClassNotFoundException whereas I know for certain that the jar in in the
web-inf/lib directory of the war.

Has anyone got any clue?

GRAVE: Erreur lors de la configuration de la classe d'écoute de
l'application (application listener)
com.sun.faces.application.WebappLifecycleListener
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
com.sun.faces.application.WebappLifecycleListener

There seems to be no problem with Tomcat, so this is off-topic for this mailing list. You might want to ask your question on Spring STS mailing list, if any.

Generally, in order to debug CNFE under Eclipse, you shoud understand how Eclipse serves dependent jars to your Tomcat installation.

For instance, Eclipse WTP have two ways to do that:

1. If you deselect option "Serve modules without publishing" (default), Eclipse will copy all dependent jars to location like: "$ECLIPSE_WORKSPACE\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.server.core\tmp0\wtpwebapps\yourwebapp". Tomcat will load web application from that single folder. In that directory, under WEB-INF\lib you should check if jar containing WebappLifecycleListener class exists.

2. If you select option "Serve modules without publishing", Eclipse will not copy resources but instruct Tomcat where they are scattered around your workspace using configuration files at directory "$ECLIPSE_WORKSPACE\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.server.core\tmp0\conf\". Configuration files (either server.xml or context-specific configurations in the subfolders) will tell you where is Tomcat looking for WebappLifecycleListener class.

YMMV. I don't know if STS uses WTP, or some other plugin to deploy applications to Tomcat, but you got the idea how to debug classpath problems.

-Ognjen