Hello,

This afternoon one of my Tomcat instances (using Tomcat private instances)
that has been running for many months suddenly stopped responding. I made
no configuration changes, so I'm at a loss as to what the cause is. (This
literally happened between page loads.) My googling turned up a few threads
that were all related to Eclipse, but I am not running Eclipse, let alone
running Tomcat from within Eclipse.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

OS:  XUbuntu 12.04, 64-bit
Tomcat:  7.0.26.0  (private instance installation:
https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/tomcat.html)
JVM: Sun 1.6.0_32-b05

org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
SEVERE: Catalina.start:
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardServer[8043]]
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:154)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:645)
        at

        at

        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:322)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:450)
Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start
component [StandardService[Catalina]]
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:154)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.startInternal(StandardServer.java:732)

        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        ... 7 more
Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start
component [StandardEngine[Catalina]]
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:154)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal(StandardService.java:443)

        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        ... 9 more
Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: A child container failed
during start
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:1136)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal(StandardEngine.java:302)

        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        ... 11 more

$ sudo netstat -lnp | grep :8043

Running the above shows nothing else running on the port.

I also blew away my tomcat folder (i.e. the private instance) and created a
brand new one. (i.e. $ tomcat7-instance-create tomcat) However, the issue
persists. I am at a loss as to what might be the problem.

Please let me know if there is any additional information needed. Thanks
again!