2012/8/16 Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>:
It appears that when one installs the groovy-all-2.0.1-indy.jar in a Tomcat
web app, BCEL chokes on the Java 7 specific byte-code therein ala

    org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ClassFormatException: Invalid byte
tag in constant pool: 15
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.Constant.readConstant(Constant.java:131)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ConstantPool.<init>(ConstantPool.java:60)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ClassParser.readConstantPool(ClassParser.java:209)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ClassParser.parse(ClassParser.java:119)
         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotationsStream(ContextConfig.java:2066)

Is there an update planned to make org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel savvy to Java
7 or replace it with ASM (which is fully Java 7 savvy)? [Please!]
BCEL is now being developed at Apache Commons. If one contributes a
patch there, I think it will make its way into Tomcat as well.

I do not think that anyone would bother replacing the annotation
scanning code with ASM one.

http://commons.apache.org/bcel/
BCEL does not appear to be terribly actively maintained -- else it wouldn't have had an issue with Java 7 byte code...

Until it is updated, Tomcat's annotation scanning will be broken for /some /Java 7 byte code. That's not really a tenable state long term.

ASM handles Java 7 byte code now. That's the only reason I bring it up (well, it's fast too...)

--
Jess Holle