On Sep 19, 2012, at 2:40 AM, marco_strull...@swissre.com wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a tomcat 6.0.35 that needs to connect to a remote server using
> https, so it is acting as a https client: it means that tomcat must have
> the remote server certificate installed.
>
> The ideal solution I found is to configure the truststore in the
> server.xml.
>
> Please see the following:
>
> <Connector port="8443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
>               maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true"
>               keystoreFile="keystore/keystore.p12"
>               keystoreType="pkcs12"
>               keystorePass="<password>"
>               truststoreFile="keystore/truststore.p12"
>               truststoreType="pkcs12"
>               truststorePass="<password>"
>               clientAuth="optional" sslProtocol="TLS" />
>
> So, I configured the truststore and the server.xml.

This will configure the keystone / truststore used by the Connector.  It does
not configure the keystone / truststore used by the JVM for making HTTPS client
requests.

> After restarting tomcat I got an ssl excetpion

> sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find
> valid certification path to requested target
>
> Enabling the property javax.net.debug I could see that tomcat is simply
> ignoring the truststore I configured.
>
> Let me add that I tried also with no luck to change the truststore format
> to jks. I add also that the remote server cert is inside the truststore
> since I can see it with keytool.
>
> Do you know why? What else could I check?

See explanation above.  Here is an example.  The trick is to set the
"javax.net.ssl.trustStore" and "javax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword" system
properties.

   http://www.exampledepot.com/egs/javax.net.ssl/client.html

or you could disable validation all together.  Not something you'd want to do
for a production site though.

   http://www.exampledepot.com/egs/javax.net.ssl/TrustAll.html

Dan