Pid,

On 10/23/12 3:00 PM, Pid wrote:
> On 23/10/2012 16:55, Jan Kostelansky wrote:
>> I am using Tomcat 6.0.18 deployed as web service on Windows XP
>> SP3.
>>

>> I created additional Host element in conf/server.xml, so I have
>> two virtual hosts: localhost (default) and janko
>>
>> <Host name="janko"    appBase="itsapps">
>>
>> <!-- Access log processes all example.
>>
>> Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html
>>
>> -->
>>
>> <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
>> directory="logs"
>>
>> prefix="its_access_log." suffix=".txt" pattern="common"
>> resolveHosts="false"/>
>>
>> </Host>
>>

>> I deployed the same web applications in both hosts. The first
>> web application is main, the other one is hypersonic database as
>> storage for the web application. The main web application defines
>> access to hypersonic database as resource.
>>
>> Then localhost web application points to hypersonic listening on
>> port 9002
>>
>> <Resource
>>
>> name="jdbc/profile"
>>
>> auth="Container"
>>
>> uniqueResourceName="jdbc/profile"
>>
>> type="com.atomikos.jdbc.nonxa.NonXADataSourceBean"
>>
>> factory="org.apache.naming.factory.BeanFactory"
>>
>> connectionTimeout="30"
>>
>> poolSize="3"
>>
>> user="sa"
>>
>> password=""
>>
>> driverClassName="org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver"
>>
>> url="jdbc:hsqldb:hsql://localhost:9002"
>>
>> />
>>
>> Then janko web application points to hypersonic listening on port
>> 9003
>>
>> <Resource
>>
>> name="jdbc/profile"
>>
>> auth="Container"
>>
>> uniqueResourceName="jdbc/profile"
>>
>> type="com.atomikos.jdbc.nonxa.NonXADataSourceBean"
>>
>> factory="org.apache.naming.factory.BeanFactory"
>>
>> connectionTimeout="30"
>>
>> poolSize="3"
>>
>> user="sa"
>>
>> password=""
>>
>> driverClassName="org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver"
>>
>> url="jdbc:hsqldb:hsql://janko:9003"
>>
>> />
>>
>> The deployment descriptors are defined in conf/Catalina/localhost
>> and conf/Catalina/janko folders. docBase points outside of
>> tomcat_home.
>>

>> However when accessing both web applications only one data source
>> is used by both web applications depending which one is used
>> first. It looks to me that JNDI name jdbc/profile is shared
>> across web applications.
>
> That's because you can't give the same JNDI name to two different
> DBs. What about trying to use two different names for the
> resources?

I thought locally-defined JNDI resources were essentially private to a
particular webapp. Is that not the case? I suppose not, since a JNDI
DataSource will outlive the webapp that caused it to be created, and a
newly-deployed webapp can inherit the old one, so... I guess I
shouldn't have been surprised.

Jan, you ought to be able to change the name of the JNDI name and then
use <resource-link> to map it over to what your webapp expects.

I noticed that you are using the "uniqueResourceName" attribute in
<Resource>... what is that?

Thanks,