>>  If using Java Web Start would not require any Java on the back end
>> whatsoever, then Marinilli on this JNLP wouldn't have dedicated a
>> chapter to it ;-)

>I'm curious - what functionality is required to serve JNLP apps - is
>there something more than HTTP requests?
~
 for example the jardiff thing I found great and it is part of JNLP,
not just HTTP
~
// __ And What About This JARDiff Stuff?
~
 informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=25044&seqNum=6
~
 JARDiff is a mechanism for updating incrementally JAR files. It is a
part of the JNLP specification, but it can be used outside usual JNLP
deployment as well. Figure 4 shows its mechanism.
 Figure 4 The JARDiff working mechanism.

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/art_marinilli2B_jnlptutorial2/elementLinks/marinilli2B_fig04.gif
 As discussed, the JARDiff format is a way to perform incremental
updates to a JAR file. It consists of a special JAR file sent to the
client, which describes the differences between two JAR files—OldJAR
and NewJAR, for example.
 The differencing information is stored in the META-INF/INDEX.JD text
file, which describes the copies of new or changed files in the NewJAR
file relative to the OldJAR file.
 The file is composed of lines <command> space <value>. The first line
describes the JARDiff format version (currently 1.0):
 version <version>
 And following are lines of two types:
 remove <fully qualified class in OldJar but not in NewJAR>
 move <fully qualified class in OldJAR> <fully qualified class in NewJAR >.
 They describe the differences between the already installed OldJAR
file and the to-be-installed NewJAR file.
 The following sections summarize the pros and cons of using JNLP.
~
 Perhaps those mobile apps are so small and selfcontained that
jardiffs don't make any sense. Users would just download the new
application instead of diff'ing it
~
 lbrtchx