Greetings,
I've researched this problem for several days, but I must be doing something
wrong. I'm trying to upgrade from Tomcat 7.0.23 to 7.0.27 (actually running
Liferay). I'm getting the following exception when trying to access a
datasource via Hibernate:

    16:28:27,694 ERROR
[http-bio-8080-exec-1][DatasourceConnectionProvider:110] Could not find
datasource: java:/comp/env/jdbc/MySqlDS
    javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name [java:/comp/env/jdbc/MySqlDS]
is not bound in this Context. Unable to find [java:].
            at
org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:820)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:168)
            at
org.apache.naming.SelectorContext.lookup(SelectorContext.java:158)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:392)
            at
org.hibernate.connection.DatasourceConnectionProvider.configure(DatasourceCo
nnectionProvider.java:75)
        at
org.hibernate.connection.ConnectionProviderFactory.newConnectionProvider(Con
nectionProviderFactory.java:143)
            at
org.hibernate.connection.ConnectionProviderFactory.newConnectionProvider(Con
nectionProviderFactory.java:84)
        at
org.hibernate.cfg.SettingsFactory.createConnectionProvider(SettingsFactory.j
ava:459)
            at
org.hibernate.cfg.SettingsFactory.buildSettings(SettingsFactory.java:90)
        at
org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSettingsInternal(Configuration.java:286
3)
            at
org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSettings(Configuration.java:2859)
        at
org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSessionFactory(Configuration.java:1870)

The exact same code runs fine in 7.0.23 (I can drop the WAR file in either
instance).

Here is my $CATALINA_HOME/conf/context.xml file (comments removed):

    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
    <!-- The contents of this file will be loaded for each web application
-->
    <Context>

        <!-- Default set of monitored resources -->

      <Resource name="jdbc/MySqlDS" auth="Container"
                type="javax.sql.DataSource"
                        driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
                            username="xxx"
                        password="xxx"

url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/xx?useUnicode=true&amp;characterEncoding=UT
F-8&amp;relaxAutoCommit=true"
                maxActive="200" maxIdle="30" maxWait="10000"
                            minIdle="3"
                        testWhileIdle="true" testOnBorrow="true"
                            timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="120000"
                        minEvictableIdleTimeMillis="600000"
                            validationQuery="select 1"
            />
    </Context>

The web.xml from the application:

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
        <web-app version="2.4" xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";>
            <servlet>
                    <servlet-name>HibernateServlet</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>com.liferay.samplehibernate.servlet.HibernateServlet</servlet
-class>
            </servlet>
        <servlet-mapping>
                    <servlet-name>HibernateServlet</servlet-name>
                <url-pattern>/servlet/*</url-pattern>
            </servlet-mapping>
        <jsp-config>
                    <taglib>

<taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/portlet_2_0</taglib-uri>
                        <taglib-location>
                                    /WEB-INF/tld/liferay-portlet.tld
                            </taglib-location>
                    </taglib>
            </jsp-config>
        <resource-ref>
                <description>data source</description>
                <res-ref-name>jdbc/MySqlDS</res-ref-name>
                <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
        </resource-ref>
    </web-app>

And finally the the hibernate.cfg.xml file:

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
        <!DOCTYPE hibernate-configuration PUBLIC "-//Hibernate/Hibernate
Configuration DTD 3.0//EN"
"http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/hibernate-configuration-3.0.dtd";>

    <hibernate-configuration>
                <session-factory>
                        <property
name="current_session_context_class">thread</property>

                        <!-- Mappings -->
                        <property
name="connection.datasource">java:/comp/env/jdbc/MySqlDS</property>
                        <property name="dialect">
                                org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLDialect
                        </property>

                        <mapping

resource="com/liferay/samplehibernate/model/FoodItem.hbm.xml" />
                </session-factory>
    </hibernate-configuration>

Did a bit more research. On vanilla versions of Tomcat 7.0.27 and the
corresponding Liferay bundle, I can make a global definition using the same
resource in server.xml. I can see the connection pool using psi-probe and
run queries. However, as soon as I introduce a resource-ref, either in the
app or in the global web.xml, psi-probe complains that the resource is not
configured correctly.

Any suggestions about what I'm missing? Thanks.

Bob