Dan,

Thanks for the reply.  See comment embedded below.

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@vmware.com> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2012, at 3:10 PM, Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

>>> How are you deploying the  application?  What are the exact steps that you
>>> are taking?
>>
>> I am using Tomcat's WAR upload and deploy (i.e., through manager app).
>
> Thought as much, thanks for confirming.

> Based on this, it would seem that you have the MySQL driver bundled with the
> application.  You might want to try moving this to the shared class loader
> (i.e. the "lib" folder).  I think that might clear up the message.
e eventual following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for
debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which
caused the illegal access,"

I ended up restarting Tomcat, cleaning the app directory & rebuilding
the app.  Worked fine after that.