On 27/11/2012 07:21, Mohan Kumar G wrote:

> We have found the malware installed on the tomcat version
> 6.0.29 on two of the servers.The both servers have a war file
> (Tomcatmanagxesaxsas.war) that installed several java script files to the
> Tomcat webserver that allow for remote access over the web. OD-VA-W-AG-87 had
> an additional war file (Jeroy.war) that appears to also be a java script
> remote
> file browser.

Could you send copies of those WAR files to secur...@tomcat.apache.org
please.

> Even though , we followed all the security settings needed for
> the tomcat container.

You are running a 2 year old version of Tomcat 6.0.x with multiple known
security vulnerabilities. There are several vulnerabilities that could
have provided an attacker with the necessary foothold to start an attack.

> The below steps are followed to secure the tomcat container:
>
> 1) Removed the default examples under CATALINA_HOME/webapps
> like jsp-examples, servlet-examples, tomcat-docs, webdav

What about the manager and host-manager applications (a favourite route
for attackers if not correctly secured)?

> 2) Make sure the default servlet is configured not to server
> index pages when a welcome file is not present. In CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml

That is pretty low on the list of things to do and only of use if you
have directories with thousands of files (to prevent a DoS generating
the listings).

> 3) Context.xml :
>
> <Context useHttpOnly="true">

Good.

> 4) server.xml :
>
> In the server.xml for all the connector , we have added
> secure="true"

Do you understand what that does? It does not magically make things more
secure.

> 5) Make sure all the
> sample user and role entries are commented out in the
> CATALINA_HOME/conf/tomcat-users.xml file

They are by default.

> Let us know if anything missing as part of security settings

The following list is for 7.0.x but most applies to 6.0.x as well:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/security-howto.html

An upgrade to at least the latest 6.0.x release is highly recommended.

Also, check any functionality that allows a remote user to upload
content to the server. Make absolutely sure there is no way they can
upload files to the webapps directory.

Some additional questions:
- Anything interesting in the access log?
- Do you know how the attack was mounted?
- How did you detect the attack?

Mark