From: Terence M. Bandoian [mailto:tere...@tmbsw.com]
Subject: Context Path for a subdirectory
A webapp can never be nested inside another, so what you're trying
to do is nonsensical.
I don't mean to be argumentative but, with Tomcat 6.0.29, I found that
static files from an images subdirectory of a web application were not
cached by Internet Explorer 7.  As a workaround, I created a context for
the images subdirectory and left it nested in the web application.  The
files from that directory were then cached by IE7.  The difference was
that the following response headers were included when there was no
separate context defined for the subdirectory:
Pragma: No-cache
Cache-Control: no-cache
Expires: Wed, 31 Dec 1969 18:00:00 CST
I realize this is a non-standard configuration but it worked with 6.0.29
and 6.0.35.
It may accidentally work in some versions, but it is in no way a supported
configuration.

I think the effort would be better spent in figuring out how to control the
headers properly rather than inventing something that is known to be contrary
to the spec.

  - Chuck

Hi, Chuck-

As I mentioned, I realize this is a non-standard configuration. Also, this was a fairly simple, but probably fairly common, use case:

- single web application
- static files in subdirectories to be delivered by Tomcat (no HTTPD front end)

I experimented with deploying the subdirectories as separate, un-nested applications but that only added complexity with no real benefit so I opted for the simpler solution. Given more time, I might have tracked down the reason for the no-cache headers - which I did attempt to do - but this worked reliably. And I'm not sure it's technically contrary to the spec. It certainly didn't violate anything I read in the Tomcat configuration reference. In fact, as previously mentioned in another post, the documentation [1] states:

"The web application used to process each HTTP request is selected by Catalina based on matching the longest possible prefix of the Request URI against the context path of each defined Context."

I didn't see any mention of restrictions on the locations of context roots.

-Terence Bandoian

1. http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/context.html#Introduction