Hello,

I am in reference to the following blog entry: Blog
entry<http://blog.springsource.org/2012/05/06/spring-mvc-3-2-preview-introducing-servlet-3-async-support>
about Spring MVC 3.2 asynchronous support.

I understand Tomcat uses a thread pool in order to serve http/web requests.
Furthermore, the above article seems to indicate that Spring MVC
asynchronous support relieves Tomcat's thread pool and allows for better
concurrency in the webapp by using background threads for "heavy-lift"
operations.

Can anyone please provide informed advice as to why that is? Why is a
"front-end" thread taken from the tomcat thread pool more costly than a
background thread?

Regards,

J.

http://blog.springsource.org/2012/05/06/spring-mvc-3-2-preview-introducing-servlet-3-async-support/