On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

Hey,

Thanks for the response.

*Which exact version of mod_jk are you using? I'm guessing you are
stuck on httpd 2.2.3 because of your package-manager? That's quite old.*

I am using mod_jk/1.2.37.  Yes, I think I installed 2.2.3 because that is
what yum installed as I am using RHEL 5.

I didn't realise it was old so maybe I should look into upgrading it.

*How long is "a few minutes"?*
*
*
I shutdown one worker and waited 10 minutes and the worker was not marked
as unavailable, which I assumed ping_mode=A would do.

*You have not set any of the following:

connection_ping_interval
prepost_timeout
ping_timeout

The default for the first one is based upon the value for
ping_timeout. The defaults for the latter two are both 0 (zero).
Therefore, all these values are 0 for your setup.

Barring any bugs in your version of mod_jk (depends upon your
version), that should effectively disable periodic connection-pinging,
leaving you with only CONNECT and PREPOST testing.

Your ping_timeout is infinite (default=0=infinite) so depending upon
exactly what is happening with your Tomcat instance, you may wait
forever to set the worker to IN_ERROR.*

As far as I was aware, setting a ping_mode of A would then in turn set a
default value of 10,000 for ping_timeout.

In turn this would then set a connection_ping_interval of 100 seconds and a
prepost_timeout of 10,000.

I gathered this information from the docs page but maybe they don't match
up with my version????

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/workers.html

A prepost of 10,000 seems very high actually so I should probably change
that.

These values that I expected by setting a ping_mode of A do seem to be
populated in the jkmanager.  I will change them and see if I can have any
success

Many thanks!

John

--