I take it all back.  The typo in my context file I thought was the problem, was
not it.

In Tomcat 7.0.34 I had a context file in conf/Catalina/localhost called
output.xml

The docBase attribute was:  docBase="\\servername\share$\gisoutput"

The purpose was to create a virtual output directory on Tomcat to read images
from the network share.  Something like http://servername/output/someimage.png

Tomcat 7.0.34 was installed as a service using the service.bat, and the service
was running under a local account on the webserver, not a local system account,
one I created.  The docBase was pointing to an administrative share on another
storage server.  I created the same local account on that storage server, and
gave share and security permissions to that share.  Then I started Tomcat
7.0.34 and got that exception in the log file.

For the heck of it, I removed the 7.0.34 service and installed 7.0.32.  The
exact same setup is working in 7.0.32

Is the $ causing an issue?