Dear Tomcat user's group:
I'm having a problem getting cgi to work. I have Tomcat installed--used the installer from download page. It's working fine for java, but I need the web server for my cgi project & running & testing perl from html locally on my PC...yea Windows env...ah, well...anyway my goal is to develop Perl stuff locally before uploading to regular server. I've followed all the config instructions for setting it up, including editing the conf\web.xml file to make the cgi servlet functional, which just involves removing comment signs from around the servlet. Done. So, what should happen is that when I call a perl script from html it should fire up & go. But .... still no workey .... so digging further I noticed the config document which is a README.xml .... makes a vague reference to having the correct "context" for cgi, but seemingly no other data....I'm missing something?? Now, folks, I have no more clues what this refers to ... can someone shed some light for me?? I've made an assumption that since I'm the only user on my PC that I do not have to register "me" in the "Tomcat-users.xml" .... since the role of manager-gui does not seem to apply to cgi.
  But I've been wrong before!

Thanks,
Alan