Hi,

We have a setup with Nginx load balancing between 2 clustered tomcat instances.
 1 instance is on the same server as Nginx and the other is on a separate
physical server (same rackspace).  We’re using pretty standard default settings
and are using the NIO tomcat connector.  Tomcat version is 7.0.32 running on
Debian.

The problem is with the second tomcat instance where at random times will start
showing SEVERE errors in the tomcat logs, which gets worse and worse until the
instance is unusable and has to be restarted.  At first we thought it was
related to high load, but once it happened early in the morning when load was
fairly low.  It does seem to happen more often at high load times though, and
is about once a day, sometimes twice.  AWSTATS says we get just over a million
hits per day to the secondary tomcat instance.  Here’s the errors:

Jan 15, 2013 11:22:21 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor
process

SEVERE: Error processing request

java.lang.NullPointerException

Jan 15, 2013 11:22:21 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor
endRequest

SEVERE: Error finishing response

java.lang.NullPointerException

        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalNioOutputBuffer.flushBuffer(InternalNioOutputBuffer.java:233)

        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalNioOutputBuffer.endRequest(InternalNioOutputBuffer.java:121)

        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.endRequest(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1653)

        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1046)

        at
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:585)

        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(NioEndpoint.java:1653)

        at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)

        at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

Nothing else helpful seems to show up in the logs before it starts happening.
This ONLY happens on the tomcat instance on a separate machine from Nginx.  Any
ideas what might be happening and how it can be resolved?  We’re not even sure
this is related to tomcat or something in the communications before it gets to
tomcat, but we’re looking at all options right now.  Thanks,

Kevin

  _____

I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len> .

Try a free scan!