> it's not. maybe it will make things clear if i change the names of the
> paths, say:
>
> * when user goes to http://app1.com/ -> {thesamewebapp}/app1 path is served
> as root path of the domain app1.com
> * when user goes to http://app2.com/ -> {thesamewebapp}/app2 path is served
> as root path of the domain app2.com
>

>From this I conclude that the explicit requirement is to have a single
running version of the war, that responds to different domains. You
seem to think that you have an additional implicit requirement that
this must be done within tomcat by having different contexts. This
seems to me to be the source of confusion in all the replies to your
thread.

>> What you are trying to do is make the same webapp answer both
>> domain1.com/ and domain2.com/ right? If so you can simply
>> deploy the webapp as ROOT. The webapp will then answer on all domains
>> pointing to the server. If this is not what you want, you
>> can set up a virtual host in server.xml with an appbase outside the
>> webapps folder (eg. $CATALINA_BASE (or is it HOME?)$\domain1
>> and then use the <Alias> element to specify the second domain as an alias
>> for the first (which you set as an attribute in the
>> Host element).
>

> i know these tricks, but they don't work for my case.

To my mind if you deploy the app as ROOT.war, as long as DNS is
configured correctly, that single context will serve responses to
http://app1.com/ and http://app2.com/. This appears solves the
explicit requirement stated above. However you state "they don't work
for my case" - please explain why this doesn't work for your case

Thanks

Chris