On Jan 26, 2013, at 5:19 AM, Sunil Shevante wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to restart tomcat from within itself?
>
> I host a JSP website and somehow the memory utilization keeps on increasing
> from time to time. I then have to manually restart Tomcat.
>
> While I understand that in the long term, I should focus on fixing the memory
> leaks, is there a way by which I can restart Tomcat after the free memory
> goes below a threshold percentage?

I wouldn't try to do this inside Tomcat.  With the tools provided by the JVM
(jmap or JMX), you can monitor just as easily from outside Tomcat.  Instead,
create a monitoring script to watch the Tomcat process.  When memory usage hits
a certain level, dump the heap (so you can analyze your memory problem later)
and restart Tomcat.

Alternatively, you could use a preexisting tool to monitor your Tomcat instance
like Nagios or Hyperic.

> I am using tomcat 6.0.14 on unix.

This is really old, upgrade.

Dan