On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Dima Iva <ots...@live.com> wrote:

> We have a Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine on an ESXi server.  It only runs
> one application that requires Apache, Tomcat, Java and PostgreSQL.  We have
> the latest versions of these programs. The machine has 1TB of disk space
> and 8GB of RAM.  When I start the Tomcat 7 service, it starts using around
> 95% of CPU in a span of a minute, after which the total utilization of CPU
> by the machine is 100%.  Process Explorer shows that the number of threads
> for this process goes up to 91 and one of them shows over 15,000,000 Cycles
> Delta and uses all the CPU.  While the machine is stalled by Tomcat, the
> commit charge for the machine is at 12% and physical memory usage at 25%,
> only the CPU is maxed out.
>
> I added CATALINA_OPTS=-Xms4096m -Xmx512m to the Environment Variables, but
> it doesn't seem to help.  I believe there is a memory leak here, but not
> sure how to pinpoint it using free tools and patch this leak.

I am not one of the expert Tomcat users or committers, but I am using TomEE
via Tomcat 7.0.35 Windows service (tomcat7w.exe) on Windows Server 2008 R2
with 32GB RAM and 1TB hard drive too (after migrating from Windows Server
2003 4GB RAM). Maybe I have not monitored it closely, but i have not seen
the 100% CPU spike that you have experienced and I have found tomee/tomcat
to be stable on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Instead of using CATALINA_OPTS=..., I specify the following java
commandline options in the tomcat7 service dialog window
(tomcat7/bin/tomcat7w.exe):

-Xmx4096m
-XX:MaxPermSize=512m
-XX:+UseTLAB