2013/2/4 André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com>:

>(...)
>
> I apologise if these are more Java-level questions than Tomcat-level
> questions, but as a sysadmin I have to decide which JVM to install, to run
> Tomcat along with webapps which I receive pre-compiled, and other non-Tomcat
> Java applications also precompiled.
> And I have to decide this for several Linux and Windows platforms, whereas I
> am told that for some of these platforms at least, the pre-packaged versions
> of Java and/or Tomcat are not always the most recent ones. Hence my
> confusion.

For me that would depend on how mission-critical those systems are and
what are mitigation strategies in case of a failure.

First, I prefer to install a JDK instead of a JRE, because
a) it comes with trouble-shooting tools such as jstack
b) several versions of JDK can be installed in parallel, and such
installation does not require root privileges.

Second, if I run small tools, I usually use whatever JRE is installed
in the system.

If I configure Tomcat in production I prefer to select an explicit
JRE/JDK version by configuring it with $CATALINA_BASE/bin/setenv.sh.

If the web applications that you are installing in production have not
been tested on Java 7, I would stick with Java 6 for a while,  but it
is already the time to start testing them with Java 7.

In theory, applications developed with Java 6 should run on Java 7 just fine.

In practice, it needs testing, and there exist
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/compatibility-417013.html

(which is part of original Java 7.0.0 release notes)

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko