On 2/3/13 5:02 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 30/01/2013 23:57, Ron Monzillo wrote:
Tomcat Experts and Users,

The Servlet Profile of JSR 196 defines the use of the JASPIC SPI in
support of the portable integration
of new and/or custom authentication mechanisms in compatible Servlet
containers.

The Profile is a required component of all Full Platform EE Web
Containers, and we are receiving requests
for the profile to become a required component of the EE web profile. To
that end, we are contacting
standalone and EE web profile Servlet containers to determine if there
is interest in adopting the profile.

For those unfamiliar with JASPIC, the SPI is a general purpose facility
that applies the concepts of pluggable
authentication as defined by PAM and JAAS to the realm of message
authentication. The Servlet profile applies
the SPI to the realm of HttpServletRequest message authentication in the
context of servlet security constraint
processing. The SPI was defined to support complex challenge response
authentication protocols, and has
been shown to be an effective means to integrate portable
implementations of new internet authentication
mechanisms (e.g. Facebook Connect, and SAML WEB SSO) in compatible
Servlet containers.

Does the Tomcat community support the inclusion of the Servlet profile
of JSR 196 in the EE web Profile?
Apache Tomcat does not currently support the Java EE web profile. Tomcat
currently supports only the Servlet, JSP and EL specifications and will
be adding WebSocket to that list for Tomcat 8.

The has been very little demand from the Apache Tomcat user community to
support the Java EE web profile. There have been just two threads on the
users list that mention the web profile. There have been slightly more
on the dev list.

JASPIC was on the TODO list for Tomcat 7 for a while but it dropped off
because a) it wasn't a mandatory requirement for Servlet containers and
b) there was very little (no references at all on the users list) for it.

I think it would be safe to say that the Apache Tomcat community has no
opinion on the Java EE web profile requiring JSR 196 support. You'd
obviously get a very different reaction if the Servlet spec was going to
require JSR 196 support.

Apache TomEE does support the Java EE web profile. If you haven't
already approached that community for their views, I recommend that you
do so.
Mark,

I have posted the question to the TomEE and Caucho/Resin user's lists.

It would also help to know what the level of interest is from Tomcat users and developers.

I anticipate that there are Tomcat users and developers who are committed
to other approaches, but I'd like to make sure the use of JASPIC has been
presented for consideration by the Tomcat community.

I would also like to know if anyone has already done or is interested in doing
the work to integrate the JASPIC  profile in the Tomcat code base.

kind regards,

Ron

Kind regards,

Mark