I had the same requirements and ended up using Spring security.  Although
spring security is no set up for ajax itself, you can make a filter that
catches all ajax context after it goes through the security class filters. Take
a look here :

http://static.springsource.org/spring-security/site/

 If you think this is a solution for  you let me know and I can provide more
details.

Jimmy