Alexander,

On 2/20/13 10:31 AM, Alexander Dümont wrote:
> my name is Alexander Dümont and i have some troubles configuring a
> JNDI datasource for Tomcat6. Im sorry, if i can't find the right
> words, English is not my first language and this is my first shot
> asking others.

Welcome to the community. Your English is very good! No need to apologize.

> => Both configuration have the following same conditions:
>
> * accessing data source by hibernate:
> "java:comp/env/jdbc/DSCarsAppDB" * $(webapp)/WEB-INF/web.xml [1]
>

> [1] $(webapp)/WEB-INF/web.xml
>
> <resource-ref> <res-ref-name>jdbc/DSCarsAppDB</res-ref-name>
> <res-type>javax.sql.DataSource</res-type>
> <res-auth>Container</res-auth> </resource-ref>

Since you are configuring your DataSource in context.xml, you don't
really need <resource-ref>, but it's probably best to configure it,
anyway. It does not harm anything and helps document your webapp's
configuration a bit.

> <Arg>jdbc/DSCarsAppDB</Arg> <Arg> <New
> class="org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcDataSource"> <Set
> name="Description">DSCarsAppDB</Set> <Set name="User">root</Set>
> <Set name="Password">sa</Set> <Set
> name="URL">jdbc:h2:carmanager01</Set> </New> </Arg>

[snip]

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <Context> <Resource
> type="javax.sql.DataSource" name="jdbc/DSCarsAppDB"
> factory="org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcDataSourceFactory"

You probably don't need to specify this factory. If you don't specify
this, you'll get Tomcat's built-in DBCP.

> driverClassName="org.h2.Driver" url="jdbc:h2:carmanager"

Above, you've for "jdbc:h2:carmanager01". Is that intentionally different?

> Exception occuring with remote server configuration (2):
>
> org.hibernate.HibernateException: Could not find datasource:
> java:comp/env/jdbc/DSCarsAppDB
>

> org.hibernate.connection.DatasourceConnectionProvider.configure(DatasourceConnectionProvider.java:82)
>

> org.hibernate.connection.ConnectionProviderFactory.newConnectionProvider(ConnectionProviderFactory.java:143)
>

> org.hibernate.connection.ConnectionProviderFactory.newConnectionProvider(ConnectionProviderFactory.java:84)
>

> org.hibernate.cfg.SettingsFactory.createConnectionProvider(SettingsFactory.java:459)
>

> org.hibernate.cfg.SettingsFactory.buildSettings(SettingsFactory.java:90)
>

> org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSettingsInternal(Configuration.java:2863)
>

> org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSettings(Configuration.java:2859)
>

> org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSessionFactory(Configuration.java:1870)
>
>  [...] (hibernate factory initialization)

I know it seems excessive, but you can post your entire catalina.out
(after you shut down Tomcat, remove catalina.out, and re-start)?
Sometimes all that extra "junk" in the stack trace can help.

> I got different exceptions when trying to use
> $(Tomcat)/conf/context.xml, by setting a Resource or a
> ResourceLink.

<ResourceLink> is only used if you have configured your DataSource in
Tomcat's global conf/server.xml -- you shouldn't need that.

Another simple question: did you restart Tomcat completely after
putting the H2 JAR into $CATALINA_BASE/lib?