Leo Donahue - RDSA IT wrote:
...>
Since my last post, upgrading to 7.0.37 and to the latest Java 1.6.0_39,
nothing in the logs out of the ordinary.  Except for this in catalina.  What
are these?  Are these attempts to log into manager/html?

Feb 23, 2013 7:37:16 PM org.apache.catalina.realm.LockOutRealm authenticate
WARNING: An attempt was made to authenticate the locked user "admin"
Feb 23, 2013 7:37:16 PM org.apache.catalina.realm.LockOutRealm authenticate
WARNING: An attempt was made to authenticate the locked user "admin"
Feb 23, 2013 7:37:17 PM org.apache.catalina.realm.LockOutRealm authenticate
WARNING: An attempt was made to authenticate the locked user "tomcat"
Feb 23, 2013 7:37:17 PM org.apache.catalina.realm.LockOutRealm authenticate
WARNING: An attempt was made to authenticate the locked user "admin"

And this drives me crazy...

googlebots keep crawling for services that aren't deployed anymore... give up
google..stop wasting my logs.

I believe that if you provide a suitable "robots.txt" file in the root of your apps (or webapps/ROOT, since those apps don't exist anymore), it will stop crawling your site.
Have a look in Googel, or just here :
http://www.robotstxt.org/orig.html