On 3 March 2013 17:58, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 03/03/2013 16:22, James Green wrote:
> > On 3 March 2013 15:51, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
> >> The base file name controls the context path. If you want to change the
> >> context path, the simplest solution is to change the base file name.
> >
> > Fine. But this is not as described on this page:
> > http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/deployer-howto.html
> >
> > Here, again, i'm told that META-INF/context.xml provides the context
> > descriptor. It also states that dropping the war into webapps/ will
> consume
> > the web application.
> >
> > Again, in the FAQ, there holds a reference to this file for deployment
> > purposes.
>
> OK. Where on that page does it say that the context.xml file is used to
> define the context path? Maybe an explicit statement that this is not
> the case is required.

I am clearly inferring too much. An explicit statement would certainly help
reduce confusion, and perhaps cause the Netbeans people to avoid putting
the path attribute into the context element - presumably they took the view
that it was supported?

At this point may I ask what reason prevents you from supporting such a
deployment facility? I am surprised that so much of what I would expect is
supported, yet this pretty significant part is not. I'm curious now as to
why.

May I ask ask how deployment is usually carried out it development and
project environments? Is it usually doing using the HTTP api (which is I
presume the way Netbeans interacts with Tomcat)?

Thanks again for your time. I would appreciate it if the documentation
would clarify that the part of the webapp cannot be set within the deployed
webapp itself.

James