On Mar 6, 2013, at 5:07 PM, Rahul Somasunderam wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2013, at 11:26 AM, Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@vmware.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 6, 2013, at 1:49 PM, Rahul Somasunderam wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm running Tomcat 7.0.23.
>>
>> This is getting pretty old, you might want to consider upgrading.
>
> I will, but I don't think this has to do much with tomcat being old. I think
> it's with me having to configure the logging correctly.

You're right, this is not related to the issue at hand.  It's just a general
reminder :)

>>> I've got a question about configuring the logging of DBCP Failures.
>>>
>>> I've go this in my context xml file.
>>>
>>> <Context docBase="/home/foo/war/" path="/foo" reloadable="true">
>>> <Resource
>>>     name="jdbc/hd/datasource"
>>>     auth="Container"
>>>     type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>>>     driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver"
>>>     url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@//localhost:1531/PROD"
>>>     username="foouser"
>>>     password="foopass"
>>> />
>>> </Context>
>>>
>>> When the username and password are correct, I have no trouble connecting
>>> and my application works as expected.
>>> However when this is wrong, I get no indication of why it went wrong.
>>
>> When it's wrong what happens?  How are you testing for failure?  Are you
>> accessing a page in your app that requires the DB?
>
> I'm testing this by changing the password in my context to be a wrong
> password. I'm looking at the startup logs and I see this in catalina.out
>
> Mar 06, 2013 11:57:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
> startInternal
> SEVERE: Error listenerStart
> Mar 06, 2013 11:57:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
> startInternal
> SEVERE: Context [/foo] startup failed due to previous errors

Your application failed to start for some reason.  It appears that a listener
has failed.  You should check the other Tomcat log files and your application
log files for clues.

> And this in localhost.date.log
>
> Mar 06, 2013 10:13:17 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> INFO: ContextListener: contextInitialized()
> Mar 06, 2013 10:13:17 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> INFO: SessionListener: contextInitialized()
> Mar 06, 2013 10:13:17 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> INFO: ContextListener:
> attributeAdded('org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldLocationsCache',
> 'org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldLocationsCache@1296dee6')
> Mar 06, 2013 11:56:55 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> INFO: Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
> Mar 06, 2013 11:58:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> INFO: ContextListener: contextInitialized()
> Mar 06, 2013 11:58:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> INFO: SessionListener: contextInitialized()
> Mar 06, 2013 11:58:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

Is this the entire localhost.YYYY-MM-DD.log file?  Given the SEVERE log in
catalina.out, I would have expected an exception here.

Dan

PS.  Have you tried setting the "initialSize" attribute on your <Resource />
tag?  That should force DBCP to create a connection at startup and, if that
connection fails, it should log it.  I tested this in my Tomcat setup, with an
out-of-the-box logging configuration, and it worked fine.