We always run Tomcat as a service, but to answer your questions:

If you run Tomcat from a console, you cannot log off; otherwise, the
application terminates.

You can disconnect from the session (not log off) and any applications already
running keep running.  Normally, you would reconnect to the same session, but
if you do not, you can use Terminal Services Manager to reconnect to the
session (by default, Windows Server 2000 and 2003 allow two administrator
sessions at the same time plus the local console connection; by default,
Windows Server 2008 and later normally connect to the console session, although
that can be changed by configuring local or domain group policies to allow
multiple sessions as in Windows Server 2000 and 2003).

Although the default is that disconnecting a session leaves it running until
someone either logs out of the session or reboots the server, many
organizations set an idle time limit for disconnected or inactive sessions, and
actually reset them after the time limit is reached, which is the same as
logging out.

Jeffrey Harris

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) named herein and may contain proprietary information. If you are
not the intended recipient of this e-mail or believe that you received this
email in error, please take immediate action to notify the sender of the
apparent error by reply e-mail; permanently delete the e-mail and any
attachments from your computer; and do not disseminate, distribute, use, or
copy this message and any attachments.