On 15/03/2013 20:53, Nick Williams wrote:
> If I understand this correctly (which I may not), BIO dedicates a
> thread to a request from beginning to end and then recycles that
> thread only when the request has completed (which is perfect), but
> NIO and APR do not do that. More than one request may use a given
> thread at (kind of) the same time. So my concern is that ThreadLocals
> from one request could pollute ThreadLocals in another request. Is
> this a concern, or are there reasons that won't happen?

Normally, all three connectors dedicate a thread to the processing of a
request from beginning to end. You can safely use ThreadLocals in the
manner you describe with any connector.

However, if you start to use Servlet 3.0 Async then you need to be a
little more careful. Once you enter async mode ThreadLocals are almost
certainly going to start causing problems. The same goes for Servlet 3.1
non-blocking IO.

Mark