Am 2013-03-29 09:38, schrieb Shyam Yadav:
Hi,

I want to run my tomcat on port 443 with https on an Ubuntu machine.
what are the required steps i should take, please guide me through it.
I search Internet but did not get any proper solution that is why i am here
sending you this mail.

Hi Shyam,

a few things you need to consider:

1. You have Tomcat already prepackaged on Ubuntu which works very well.
2. Only root is allowed bind ports below 1024.

Regarding 1: This is solved by the Ubuntu package
Regarding 2: Root must start the binary and perform a so called downgrade

Now, you have following options:

1. Use Ubuntu's start-stop-daemon
2. do $ su - tomcat -c startup.sh
3. Evaluate Commons Daemon which will perform that aforementioned downgrade in plain C.

Ubuntu actually does that with 1 and 3. HAve a look at Ubuntu's tomcat6 startup script.

Michael