Actually that does not work, sorry for the too-soon post. If I modify
startup.bat as follows:
SET JAVA_OPTS=-Xms2560 -Xmx2560
call "%EXECUTABLE%" start %CMD_LINE_ARGS%

It does not start the webserver, it just prints some messages and does
nothing else

C:\apache-tomcat-7.0.39\bin>startup.bat
Using CATALINA_BASE:   "C:\apache-tomcat-7.0.39"
Using CATALINA_HOME:   "C:\apache-tomcat-7.0.39"
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "C:\apache-tomcat-7.0.39\temp"
Using JRE_HOME:        "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_43"
Using CLASSPATH:
"C:\apache-tomcat-7.0.39\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\apache-tomc
at-7.0.39\bin\tomcat-juli.jar"