That's why I like jconsole.  It's live, or live-ish, and when you look at the
threads, it will not only tell you which that a thread is waiting on a lock,
and which lock, but also which thread currently owns that lock.  It's a little
easier to track the lock-chain that way then manually via a thread dump.
It might take me a bit to find a starting thread (hint, I look at the ones
starting http- or the executor ones), but once I find the first lock, it's a
quick jump to the offending thread.