Hi,

Have a look at http://markmail.org/thread/iqgvj34347z77tnc for a bug in the current Tomcat version and its workaround. This seems to affect MySQL primarily.

Regards,
Bertrand

On 10/04/2013 4:05 PM, Igor Urisman wrote:
Hello,

The new Tomcat 7 JDBC
pool<http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/jdbc-pool/jdbc-pool.html>is
quite new and not much has been written on it yet.  Has anyone looked
it
how well it manages underlying resources, both in java domain and in the
database?

More specifically, what happens when I call Connection.close()
without explicitly first closing statements and result sets that were
created via this connection? An un-pooled raw JDBC connection will do the
right thing and close underlying resource when closed.  But in a pool
setup, connection close() simply returns it to the pool.

In an ideal world, a pooled connection proxy will keep track of the
underlying resources and release/close them when closed.  But that's known
not to have been the case in the past and I didn't find any guarantees of
that in the docs for the new pool.  I've been running some tests and I am
coming up with surprises.  I don't want yet to post code to this list.
  Just a general inquiry for now.

Thanks in advance,
-Igor.