On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 4/15/2013 7:25 AM, David kerber wrote:
>
>> On 4/15/2013 10:10 AM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 7:40 AM, David kerber<dcker...@verizon.net>
>>> wrote:

>>> Will do (and doing that), thanks.  :)
>>>

>>>  Depending on your app and usage patterns, it can take up to days for the
>>>>

>>> I see it stabilize 'in minutes' (after/during usage of the app).
>>>
>>> Just now (prior to writing this email), I was looking at the app's usage
>>> (via monitoring the app's own data/record audit trail page), and then
>>> decided to check-on the app to see how it is doing/performing via
>>> jvisualvm, and voila, again, I saw no saw-tooth[1].
>>>
>>> I saw this, 5 to 15 minutes after a period of inactivity in the app, but
>>> before I logged into the app, as I stated above, I checked the app's
>>> audit
>>> trail (which can definitely be a 'heavy-lifting' database query,
>>> depending
>>> on work done within the app on selected date, default = current date),
>>> and
>>> it[1] still showed no activity (or saw-tooth); I assume activity
>>> within the
>>> app can = definite/obvious saw-tooth graph (which also means, GC is
>>> working
>>> while app is being used).
>>>
>>> What I mentioned above is very normal behavior for my app.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://img805.imageshack.us/**img805/8453/**20130415jvisualvm01.png<http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/8453/20130415jvisualvm01.png>
>>>

>> These graphs are only showing ~40 seconds of data.  I'll bet if you let
>> the app run for several minutes or hours, you'll see it.
>>

> Yep, there's no history in that data.

Agreed!  :)

> What you can do (probably in a test environment) is the following:
>
> 1. Set up monitoring (visualvm, psi-probe, jconsole)
> 2. Abuse your application with well-crafted JMeter (or other) tests
> 3. Watch memory

Interesting. I will have to try that, at some point. Thanks.

> This becomes a little more challenging with AJAX-style applications (yours
> is a PrimeFaces / JSF / AJAX one, right?), but I've seen some notes on
> this. Google is your friend.

Yes, PrimeFaces, but not much AJAX at all. my endusers went from using an
almost 20-year-old MS-DOS dBase IV app to a Java/JSF web application. They
don't need AJAX (partial page refreshes), so they are very happy with full
page refreshes. :)

I implemented security and session management in my app via some approaches
that I got from BalusC on stackoverflow.com. so, Full page refresh (FPR) is
necessary to refresh the page,

content="#{session.maxInactiveInterval};url=#{pf_usersController.isLoggedInViaAndroid()
? 'pf_viewExpiredOnMobile.jsf' : 'pf_viewExpired.jsf'}" />

so, session can timeout/expire according to the follow context param, set
in web.xml.

    <!-- session-timeout = 15 minutes -->
    <session-config>
        <session-timeout>
            15
        </session-timeout>
    </session-config>

this meets my requirements for session timeout/expire/management.