On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 08:25:06PM +0200, Jakub 1983 wrote:
> When is it useful to define context.xml in some other place than at
> /META-INF/context.xml inside the application files ?
>
> When do you usually do it ?
> Is it frequently used ?
> I am not asking about theoretical possibilities, but how are they used in
> practical scenarios.

I almost *always* write a context descriptor to place in
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/$HOSTNAME/$CONTEXTNAME.xml, after placing
the app. itself somewhere far from the appBase directory so that the
descriptor won't be munged by Tomcat during deployment.  I am actually
a bit puzzled that it's even *possible* to place the context
descriptor inside the app.

I gather that I am in the minority, in this.  But I feel that the
app., whether packed or unpacked, should be treated as an opaque
object, with deployment configuration data applied from the outside.
I think that muddling the concerns of developers and installers is
asking for trouble.

(I also feel that an app. should be able to function without any
configuration at all, at least to the point of telling me what I
forgot to configure.)

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.