No, I guess not.

>And..

If I'm understanding the point you are making, you're saying that delaying the
404 response slows down the ability of the bots to collect information. The
bots will *still* collect data, it will just take them longer to get the list
of possible exploits?

Not knowing anything about the history of the HTTP 404 method, if a server does
not find a matching request URI, why was it decided that the protocol would
even respond at all?  Seems like the request could have just been ignored or
dropped.

[Way OT...]
If you get this to work, then the next place you can take this idea is to the
phone company.  Why should my phone even ring at all if I know the caller is
from an 800 number... or from some other list of people I don't care to talk to
... I would love it if those guys had to wait 10 or 20 seconds between rings...
that would be great!!