I am not sure if this is the same issue I am having but apparently I am
also using atmosphere for web sockets and make it work in embedded tomcat.

I looked at the tomcat unit tests for bio connector and the tests are not
doing anything special. They set the address to localhost. I tried the
below code similar to the unit tests but I still can't connect to tomcat
when I use this connector.

Connector nioConnector = new Connector(Http11NioProtocol.class.getName());
                nioConnector.setPort(TOMCAT_PORT);
                nioConnector.setProperty("address",
                InetAddress.getByName("localhost").getHostAddress());
tomcat.setConnector(nioConnector);

Unit test I saw is here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/test/org/apache/catalina/nonbl
ocking/TestNonBlockingAPI.java