From: Chris Berthold [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 05 May 2006 04:24 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: Install Guide

8080 not 8081

Chris Berthold
IT Systems Analyst
Commercial Refrigerator Door Company
941 . 371 . 8110 x 205

-----Original Message-----
From: Dirk Moolman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 10:14 AM
To: Tomcat Users List

Thank you for everyone's responses.    I tried downloading and
installing the JDK 5 Update 6 version, but it still would not run, after
following the install steps on the tomcat.apache.org website (gave me
the same message as before in the catalina log)

["This release of Apache Tomcat was packaged to run on J2SE 5.0 or
later. It can be run on earlier JVMs by downloading and installing a
compatibility package from the Apache Tomcat binary download page."]

So I installed a different version of Tomcat (from our SLES CD's) -
jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19-29.1, which I managed to start up (the daemon at
least).

Now I must just figure out how to connect to it from my web browser on
my Windows PC, to Tomcat on the Linux server.
(http://hostname:8081 does not work)

Thanks again for the previous replies.
Dirk

==
Your running IBM JDK which is mostly 1.4 compatible.  Go to java.sun.com
and
download the install for JDK 5.0
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

You want the one that says: Download JDK 5.0 Update 6

That will get you the JDK you need.  Then you are good to install
Tomcat.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/index.html and RTFM

=o)

Chris Berthold
IT Systems Analyst
Commercial Refrigerator Door Company
941 . 371 . 8110 x 205

The information on this e-mail including any attachments relates to the
official business of DigiCare (Pty) Ltd. The information is confidential
and
legally privileged and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to
this
e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised and as such any disclosure,
copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted in reliance on it is
unlawful.
Please notify the sender immediately if it has inadvertently reached you
and
do not read, disclose or use the content in any way.

No responsibility whatsoever is accepted by DigiCare (Pty) Ltd if the
information is, for whatever reason, corrupted or does not reach its
intended destination. The views expressed in this e-mail  are the views
of
the individual sender and should in no way be construed as the views of
DigiCare (Pty) Ltd, except where the sender has specifically stated them
be the views of DigiCare (Pty) Ltd.

The information on this e-mail including any attachments relates to the
official business of DigiCare (Pty) Ltd. The information is confidential and
legally privileged and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this
e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised and as such any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted in reliance on it is unlawful.
Please notify the sender immediately if it has inadvertently reached you and do
not read, disclose or use the content in any way.

No responsibility whatsoever is accepted by DigiCare (Pty) Ltd if the
information is, for whatever reason, corrupted or does not reach its intended
destination. The views expressed in this e-mail  are the views of the
individual sender and should in no way be construed as the views of DigiCare
(Pty) Ltd, except where the sender has specifically stated them to be the views
of DigiCare (Pty) Ltd.