Hi,

2013/4/26 Jeffrey Janner <jeffrey.jan...@polydyne.com>:
> Ok, I know I've been doing this for awhile and should probably know better,
> but....
>
> Since long ago (4.x?), at the guidance of some long-gone developers, I've
> been adding the following to our app_context.xml file for instances where we
> are expecting to use SSL protocol for communications.  Note we are not using
> SSL-Client-Authentication, which is what I've recently discovered this valve
> actually implements. I actually use a security-constraint to force the
> conversation to the SSL port.  So with that background, am I getting any
> beneficial side-effects from this, and, if so, is there a better way to get
> the same results?
>   <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SSLAuthenticator"
>         securePagesWithPragma="false" />

If I'm not wrong , the authenticators are not called if the request is
not constrained to an auth-constraint. If it was, you would need a
client certificate to access your web app (ensured by that
authenticator). So no in your case.

> From the definition of the parameter, I am at least turning off some
> IE-incompatible headers that control proxy-caching.

Not even that, if you really have no auth-constraint then there is no
justification to keep this authenticator in the context.