Mark,

While there is no response on the Servlet spec list, I have some follow-up
questions:

> If you call complete() you'll end up with an IllegalStateException when
> the error handler kicks in. You have to use dispatch(). The error handle
> kicks in as soon as the dispatch() tries to write to the response.

Do you mean dispatch() + write to the response from within the dispatched
thread thereby causing an error? I actually have no reason to write to the
response at that point. I'm just trying to complete the async request and
release any associated Servlet container resources.

I did try dispatch() and then complete() from within the dispatched thread.
It leads to a similar ISE from AsyncStateMachine.

Lastly if I do call complete() without dispatch, thereby causing the ISE,
does that actually complete the async request and release any container
resources? I'm just trying to decide if this is something I can live with
for now while the EG decides.

Thanks,
Rossen