Andrew Hunt wrote:
Hi
We have a Tomcat 7.0.39 instance with several applications running within it,
but all running as the same user as the Tomcat instance.  We have a new
application we are wanting to add, but this needs to run with a different user
as it has different accesses it needs that cannot be granted to the other
applications.  I have searched and read, but found anything that looks at this
level of configuration.

For example, /opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.39/bin/startup.sh is executed as
'fewperms'.  It has an application /mydbprocessor that does stuff using a jdbc
connection to a db that also executes as fewperms.  I am now adding an
application /mydeployer that needs to have sudo rights that 'fewperms' may not
have (company policy).

I would prefer not to have a separate instance of Tomcat to achieve this.
Everything I have seen / read about so far is how to access TC as a user with a
different user, not how to run an application as a different user.

Well, you have to think that it would have to be the JVM which runs Tomcat which would need to be able to switch to another user on-the-fly, each time it runs that specific application. I do not think that this can easily be done (and there is probably nothing in Tomcat per se that would allow this).
So I believe that you have no choice but to run another instance under that
separate user.
That is probably a good case for an Apache httpd front-end and 2 Tomcat
back-ends.