I realize I can set the header in the response, but was hoping this can be
something we set on the server for a specific context maybe?

        response.setHeader("Access-Control-Allow-Origin", "*");
        response.setHeader("Access-Control-Request-Method", "GET,POST");

Before IE supported this, Firefox did, which made it nice for some users who
wanted to make an cross origin ajax requests to one of our servlets.