On 5/28/2013 1:21 PM, [email protected] wrote:
Thanks David&  Chris for responding back.

Actually i am doing a proof of concept,in which in want to use the same 
CATALINA_BASE across in lieu of creating 10 different tomcat instances.

I am doing this by using variables in server.xml for port numbers,work directories 
etc.&  then i am passing the respective values to the tomcat startup script as 
arguments.

The idea is to get away from the need of creating tomcat instances&  to have one 
common config file which will be used for running multiple instances using single 
catalina_base .with this i  can reduce lot of support work&  it will be easier to 
maintain as well.

I guess I'm not understanding your definition of "tomcat instances". What you're describing is what I mean by that term: multiple instances of tomcat, running (potentially) from different Catalina_base locations.

If by "Tomcat instances", you mean separate installations of tomcat on disk, then that is absolutely not required, and what you're describing is the way to go. I run a dozen or more "instances" of TC from a single installation, with each webapp running from its own _base directory. I don't share server.xml files, though; I just copy them and change the port settings in each one, and each has its own work and temp directories. Creating the separate _base directories is easy to script, and doesn't require separate installations of tomcat itself.



So related to this My Queries are :-

1) do you guys find this approach as reliable in which i will be passing the port 
numbers,work directory location&  catalina base to tomcat startup script as 
argument on runtime???
2) Are there any concerns/pitfalls which i should take care ?
3) i am not able to create separate temp directory for the instances ,is it 
possible to change the temp location which is used by tomcat instances or it 
can be shared across multiple instances ?

Please suggest i really need your guidance.

Thanks,
Vicky



On May 28, 2013, at 9:56 PM, David kerber<[email protected]>  wrote:

On 5/28/2013 12:22 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Vicky,

On 5/28/13 2:30 AM, [email protected] wrote:
Is there is a way by which we can create work&   temp directories
on run time so that we can avoid creating multiple tomcat
instances having there individual work&   temp directories.

Can you ask that question in a different way, or explain in a little
more detail? It's unclear to me what you are trying to achieve.

It looks to me like she wants to have single work and temp directories, to be used by all 
tomcat instances.  Though I'm not sure what the "on run time" is referring to.



- -chris
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools - http://gpgtools.org
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/
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=KiGF
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to